Thursday, October 13, 2011

Critical What?

I have been studying the latest Algebra textbook from the college library in efforts to not repeat the same course I took three times in High School.  It has proven to be quite a challenge.  I want to be a writer, not an Algebra teacher.  "Why do I need this?"  I asked this question at least 15 times a semester and always got the same answer, "Because you do."  Don't those math teachers know they're using improper grammar?  How did they land that job?  They couldn't even explain to me how math translated into real world experience.  Well, I'm starting to figure out where it applies to me, considering I'll probably never become a builder, a designer or an engineer.


I have a few theories.  

1) Algebra unlocks the half of my brain that writing almost never knocks on.  Logic and reason, problem solving, a drive to accomplish more than expected.  Without the painful Algebra experience I might never put down the pen and think like a man.  I get it.  No wonder I have four kids and no career.  I was the creative, nurturing type.  But there's more to me than that!  Algebra will help get me there.  It will put that frustration and tediousness to good use.  One day I'm going to have to use these logical brain functions to - I don't know, work harder!  


2) Algebra is preparing me for the boss who never answers my question in a clear fashion.  We all know the type, they usually answer a question with another question or sometimes just a condescending look. I'll take this newly unlocked critical thinking process to the real world and make better decisions.  So when I get that question to question response I'll find the answer myself and later not have to ask at all.  I'll grow a pair, so to speak.  

3)  Algebra pushes frustrated feelings to such an extreme that coping skills are a natural byproduct.  That seems pretty fair to me.  Less grumbling and complaining, more solving.  As a woman I was always allowed to just express my feelings and not many people held me accountable for finding a solution.  It's something I realized during the last year or two as I explored what was making me so unhappy with my life.  It's where "shut up and do something about it was born".  A good friend, who never holds back on calling me on the bullshit, had inspired me to say it.  I wrote it down that night.  I will never forget that empowering feeling that followed.  Complaining never got me anywhere.  I was finally looking in the mirror of my own discontent and saw that I held the solutions. 



So you see, algebra is a locked door.  I have made peace with the work it involves to acquire the key and am looking forward to see all the worlds it will open up into someday!  

Until then, 2(3x + 4) = 3x + 2[3(x-1) + 2]!




1 comment: